Deaths from the COVID-19 epidemic in Italy climbed by 79 on Tuesday against 65 the day before, the Civil Protection Agency said, while the daily tally of new cases was broadly stable at 283 against 280 on Monday.
The total death toll since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21 now stands at 34,043, the agency said, the fourth highest in the world after those of the United States, Britain and Brazil.
The Civil Protection Agency said that of the 79 newly recorded deaths, 32 had actually occurred in previous days in the central region of Abruzzo, but had not previously been reported by Abruzzo’s authorities.
The total number of confirmed cases in Italy since the start of its outbreak now amounts to 235,561, the seventh highest global tally behind those of the United States, Russia, Brazil, Spain, Britain and India.
People registered as currently carrying the illness fell to 32,872 from 34,730 the day before.
The northern region of Lombardy, where the outbreak was first identified, remains by far the worst affected of Italy’s 20 regions, accounting for 192 of the 283 new cases reported on Tuesday.
There were 263 people in intensive care on Tuesday, down from 283 on Monday, maintaining a long-running decline. Of those originally infected, 168,646 were declared recovered against 166,584 a day earlier.
The agency said 2.676 million people had been tested for the virus as of Tuesday against 2.643 million on Monday, out of a population of around 60 million.